Fight massive brutes and their minions across a sprawling countryside, defending cities and rescuing refugees torn from their homes. Swiftly define your strategy as hordes attack from the ground and air. Use the dynamic skill-based combat system to your advantage, tactically disarming and dismembering enemies to go in for the kill. This is no longer a war. It is an annihilation. And you are all that stands between humanity…and extinction.
- Deep Story Campaign. Protect the human population across an abundant story campaign, rescuing as many civilians as possible and taking down brutal opponents.
- Dynamic Side Missions. Complete numerous side missions with various objectives, earning upgrades to aid you in your campaign.
- Skill-Based Combat. Travel horizontally and vertically, perform wall runs, and use your whip as a vault to perform devastating air assaults. Master dynamic combat maneuvers to effectively traverse the giant beasts and expose their weak points, progressing along different skill trees to develop a path best suited to your playstyle.
- Interactive Environment. Move freely around a fully destructible environment, and use objects throughout the world to your strategic advantage.
- Innumerable Battle Scenarios. Every battlefield is different from the last, ensuring a unique combat situation each time you play.
- Custom Battles. Create unique battlegrounds with varied objectives, and challenge players online to compete for the top score.
- Extinction Mode. Fight off a continuous horde of assailants as wave after wave of ogres and their minions attack without relent.
Developer Iron Galaxy, the company that brought us the brilliant fighting games Divekick and Killer Instinct is ready to show us something bigger with the release of Extinction, available for Sony’s PlayStation 4 at GAME.
Bigger, in this case anyway, is very much better. Extinction takes cues from similarly-themed games like Shadow of the Colossus, Monster Hunter World and Attack on Titan in which players must traverse an open-world, tackling an array of monsters over the course of the game.
In Extinction, gamers must take on the role of a hero who has been tasked with saving the human race from a gargantuan army of hideous monsters. Of course, the monsters vary from the very small, to huge ogres towering at over 150ft. These need to be hacked and slashed until they fall to their knees and perish.
The role of the player is Avil, who happens to be the last of an ancient civilisation known as the Sentinels. The job of Sentinels is to protect human settlements from the ogres called Ravenii who have been at war with humanity for many years.
All seems well and quiet for many years until the Ravenii return to wreak havoc on the few remaining civilisations that remain after the onslaught of the previous war. Extinction’s unique fighting mechanics mean it faces little competition from similarly-themed games like Shadow of the Colossus.
A simple fighting mechanic is the best way to describe it. Attacks can be cancelled, reducing the need for complex combo movements. It features a flashy presentation in which the main protagonist performs double jumps with a cool grappling whip. Interestingly, these movements can be used when fighting bosses and travelling over the world itself.
With colourful graphics and an immersive world that just begs to be explored, Extinction is a great addition to any fan of the genre’s collection. The performance capabilities of the Sony PS4 are sure to ensure a fluid and exciting gaming experience for all players.
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other shoppers!